Notes on the online application
Table of contents
- General information about the online application
- Detailed instructions
- Language Skills
- Vocational training, internship and employment
- University entrance qualification (HZB)
- Experience abroad
- Data protection
- University degrees or intermediate exams
General information about the online application
Step 1: Prepare documents
During the application you will be asked to upload the following documents from your computer:
- curriculum vitae / resume
- ID card
- Motivation letter
- Certificates for each foreign language
- Certificate and official transcript of previous study or degree
- If the degree is not obtained yet: interim transcript indicating current GPA
- University entrance qualification (e.g. high school diploma)
- Proof of vocational training, internships, employment
- Optional: international experience
- If applicable, Immatrikulations- or Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung
Allowed file formats are Microsoft Word (doc) Portable Document Format (pdf) and Rich Text Format (rtf).
Please write the CV in such a way that your professional, methodical and social experience and knowledge are recognizable.
Step 2: Keep information available
- Training, working, study abroad periods
- Extracurricular skills and knowledge
Step 3: Apply online
- Registration: Please enter your e-mail address. You will then receive a link to the application form, which you can revise at any time until the application deadline.
- Fill out the application form and upload documents:
- All mandatory fields are highlighted in yellow.
- Check all entered data and documents. It is possible to change them online at any time before the application deadline
- Submit (!)
- Send confirmation letter of participation in the application process to the Application and Admissions Office (!)
After submitting the application, you will receive an automatic confirmation email that your documents have been received. Please note that during the application process you will receive a maximum of two automatically generated confirmation letters, a confirmation of the electronically sent application and an acknowledgment of receipt of the confirmation letter. The confirmation letter (Word document), which you will find in the last section, must be filled in completely and sent to the Application and Admissions Office of the MAIR at the University of Potsdam immediately by post. Your application will only be considered submitted on time if the letter of confirmation has been received by the Application and Admissions Office of the MAIR before the application deadline, at the latest on 1 February (date of postmark). In exceptional cases, you can send the letter of confirmation by fax to the registration office, if you have made prior arrangements.
Please click on "Add language skill" in the bar on the left side to prove your German and English skills.
Submission of language certificates: All proof of language proficiency must be submitted on time.
Vocational training, internship and employment
Please click on "Add Experience" in the online application to indicate completed vocational training, internships and other occupations. Please support your experience by appropriate documents that you can upload here. Please make sure that the exact scope of work is visible for part-time activities! Only evidence of work already performed will be accepted. Contracts and commitments cannot be considered.
University entrance qualification (HZB)
The university entrance qualification is a document that entitles you to attend a university. In Germany, this is the high school diploma (baccalaureate or “Abitur”) in most cases.
If you do not have a suitable document proving the university entrance qualification, please upload a document justifying the lack of proof.
Please click on "Add Experience" to specify and describe experiences abroad. Please prove your experience with appropriate supporting documents.
The information provided by you when applying will not be disclosed to third parties. The information will be used exclusively for the application process. Personal details of persons admitted are forwarded to the enrollment offices and the study and examination office to a limited extent. All other data will be destroyed after two years at the latest.
University degrees or intermediate exams
Application without an existing degree
Proof of completion of studies or achievements achieved after the application deadline can be submitted later.
Important note: Students who are not yet able to submit a BA certificate may only apply if they are not missing more than 40 ECTS credits until the completion of their BA degree at the time of application! In this case, your university will need to calculate the current grade point average / GPA so we can determine your rank.
Scanned-in copies of the ‚Bestätigungsschreiben‘ sent in via email cannot be accepted.
Please do not submit proof of language skills other than German or English (or Russian if applying to the MGIMO) as this is not necessary.
Please note that only documents in German or English can be considered for your application. If you have documents in other languages, please be sure to upload them with a certified translation to either German or English.
- Scanned-in copies of the ‚Bestätigungsschreiben‘ sent in via email cannot be accepted.
- Please do not submit proof of language skills other than German or English (or Russian if applying to the MGIMO) as this is not necessary.
- Please note that only documents in German or English can be considered for your application. If you have documents in other languages, please be sure to upload them with a certified translation to either German or English.